free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Tuesday 15 May 2012

R is for READ

Sometimes the mind goes where it will go.


I look at the word READ, and I don't know how to pronounce it.

If it's a verb in the present tense, it's pronounced like REED:

The common reed:
Reed Richards of the comic book group, the Fantastic Four
Nikki Reed, who was in those Twilight movies, as you may know (I didn't).

One would conjugate the verb:
I read. You read. He/she/it reads. We read. You read. They read.


If it's a verb in the past tense, it's pronounced like the color (or colour) RED:

One would conjugate the verb:
I read. You read. He/she/it read. We read. You read. They read.




Regardless of the tense, one should READ all the fine entries on ABC Wednesday this week. I'm sure you will have READ them by this time next week. After all, reading is FUNdamental.







21 comments:

  1. Yes Yes Yes- I love to read read and read:-) happy R week to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect R word, one of my favorite things to do. I got "Reading is fundamental. Fund-a-mental" on my sidebar :); read reed's role and everything. Don't mind having a gorgeous vampire in our midst this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this brought back memories - especially the last few sentences! Great R...R is for Roger too! A rare, real Robin! lol! Really true!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roger! How do you pronounce Reading ( not the gerund or the progressive tense, but the town of Reading in South England?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading in England (and Reading in Pennsylvania, US - ride the Reading Railroad in Monopoly) are all pronounced Redding.

      Delete
  5. Yes all of us bloggers READ!!! Love this post today. Reading all the entries for this week will be a wonderful READING exercise.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually reading is FUND-a-mental.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post for the letter R. English is my native language but even so I find certain pronunciations and choices odd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful interpretation from R-ead :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post as always. My hubby gave me an ipad for my birthday and in 6 months I have read over 40 books. I think I need to go back to the library...Blessings and Rest, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These weeks seem to rapidly repeat regularly ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Roger,
    Yes indeed...I certainly read a lot more since I started blogging, but my wife is the true read-o-holic in the family! Nice intro. Have another rambunctious week ahead everyone!

    Return To Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. I devour books like a monster... Err reading it that is


    PhenoMenon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reed, read, red- all good by me- love your connections today!

    Chrissy from Manchester: Rolls Royce started in Manchester Mancunian Wave

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was fun to read your post and now that I've read it I'm off to read others.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a great week. Greetings from Romania

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now matter how it is said - reading is the best! An addict here for sure.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the great advantages to ABC Wednesday is looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts about the letter for that week. i don't know how many times I have a been a bit embarrassed explaining illogical (to me) aspects of the English language to ESL students. Your post on the word "read" said it better than I ever could have. I nodded my head in agreement all the way through :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you ABC team for such a fun post!! My "R" is for "Recess!"

    http://wordrustling.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/hannahs-haven/

    ReplyDelete